Saturday, April 14, 2007

My Hot Enemy!

I didn’t have the slightest clue that what had made me think I had what it took. It wasn’t my first interview; Yet, clearly the biggest. I’d been sitting there for half an hour then, feeling dizzy owing to the smell of the newly-painted walls, staring at the cheerful staff there and wondering if I could ever be so. I looked across the stuffy room : The first one who caught my eyes was the “M.A Lady” who was hard-workingly boasting her degree, then a short guy with the longest C.V I'd ever seen which was crying “EXPERIENCED”. It was like everybody there was a beautiful swan and I … "the odd duck"! Just that very moment I realized how much I hated the yellow light in the room! But was THAT really the cause of my nausea? I don’t think so…
Just then I felt some itchy heaviness of somebody’s eyes on me which made look around and there I spotted some hot guy coming toward me. The paint was bothering me a lot for I thought I was choking. I sat there still waiting for some polite “ How are you?”, but…
- “How old are you?”
What the heck?! Had I heard him wrong? Was it too clear that I was simply the youngest there? I was too confused to answer.
-“What have you studied at university?”
It was his next question which reminded me of a famous question ( What grade are you?) that is commonly asked while talking to school kids!
-“I’m just about to start literature this year.“ I answered uncomfortably.
-“Any experience?”
He was not going to give up for sure!
-“No” I said impatiently.
Then, giving me some strange look ,which was somehow familiar, he said his last sentence:
-“From what I already know , trust me, you are wasting your time here, baby!”
Excuse me?! That moment, I could’ve easily told him: Yeah bastard! I’m certainly wasting my time talking to YOU! Or even better, I could’ve slapped him and rushed out of that hell. But just out of the blue I came across a better idea: What if I kicked his ass in the interview?
Yeah, that was the way to do it !
The meeting was about to start. At the right time and before he even knew it, I volunteered to open the meeting( which was actually a group interview) with my presentation. Feeling terribly insulted, I emptied my mind of any thing else and tried to make the best out of it. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to impress my interviewers and to receive such assuring smiles. Right then, proud of my presentation, I looked at MY ENEMY to show off my victory; but just then I got to realize the meaning of that strange, yet familiar look: FEAR!

Was he afraid too?!
When I was in fear, I tried to ignore my rivals’ abilities and he tried to focus on their disabilities…well,we were not much different, any way.
suddenly, I didn’t want him to fail any more...
Now,after three years, as one of my dearest coworkers, he never refers to that day for he thinks what happened that day had nothing to do with him. But I know that everthing that day, had many things to do with him!

3 comments:

truth seekers said...

dear Mehrnaz!
Thanks for your comment.
Your memory can help me so much in my own cases.
Vous Mehrnaz! courageuse et intelligente!
narges

Anonymous said...

Your characteristic is what I love!
you are a professional in narrating your personal experience as well as in socializing with people!

S. Susan Marandi said...

Wow! Great job! I just loved this! :-)

Very nice; keep it up!